Friday, October 19, 2007

Weaning

I have this idea that I'd like to wean Ahuva at 1 year. It seems to me a reasonable amount of time. I knew I wanted to breast feed her for at least 6 mo. but I also think that when she's old enough to ask for it by name, it's too long. So now she's 10 mo. old and it's time-to-start-getting-ready-to think about it.
Why?
Energy. After starting life as an exceptional sleeper, Ahuva is now in the habbit of waking up 3-4 times a night for a feed. Guess who else gets up?
It's also physically demanding, producing all that extra good stuff for her.
Mood. On weekends, I nurse more. I find that I tend to get weepy. All that lacrimone I think.
Freedom. At some point, it would be nice to be able to take a business trip without her or have an entire night away with my husband. Is that crazy?
Why not?
Bonding. It feels good to be able to offer this gift to my daughter. When I'm not dying to do something else, it's time I cherish. I like that it's something she only gets from me.
Health. It's good for her!
Why it can work
Ahuva is now eating tons of "real" food and this week she finally took a bottle of cow's milk from my mother and from the babysitter.

How to do it? This part is tricky. I went to La Leche League for advice. All they say is, "Are you SURE you're ready to stop (even if your kid is in college)? Are you AWARE of all the amazing benefits of breast feeding?" Duh. But enough! Another site I found suggested following a "don't offer, don't refuse" policy. I tried yesterday. I didn't offer the breast as I usually do when I picked her up. She didn't ask for it either. I spent the evening feeling a bit confused and light-headed (milk brain) but I didn't explode.

Advice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok. I am the nursing expert! (altough it's been more that a quarter of a century since I weaned my last.) First, I have educated and advised nursing mothers professionally and personally. Always, I said, as long as your babe is fed lovingly, by cow, goat, soy bean or human, it's good. (I for one was an "anxious" yet very easily successful nurser.) My daughter remembers fondly, nursing and weaning. I weaned my son before he could remember it. (at about 2 an a half). She has stong positive memories of nursing, he no memories. They are both healthy, successful, loving (and loved) people. I could go on. Believe me, whatever you do is fine. You have spoken to enough experts. Do what is good for you and Adi. However if you want to speak to more experts, speak to my daughter. she will tell you from the nursing kid's point of view. You can ask your folks how to reach her. capecodjane